*and they're probably fake, but it's still exciting!
So a few days ago WordPress blog popped up from one Kevin Callahan. No one is sure if this guy is legit, but he if he's not he certainly went through a lot of trouble to post al this info just for kicks.
Here are the main points of his post (Thanks MyNintendoNews)
- Retro Studios and Monster Games have been collaborating on Diddy Kong Racing 2.
- This is why Monster Games ported Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and worked with Retro Studios on DKC: Tropical Freeze.
- Diddy Kong Racing 2 began as a prototype in 2006. The animal transformation vehicles idea in Excitebots (2009) came from Diddy Kong Racing 2 prototype. The animal vehicles came from the idea of riding animal buddies in the Donkey Kong Country series.
- The Wii Diddy Kong Racing was cancelled due to Donkey Kong Barrel Blasts low sales. It was also cancelled because Diddy Kong Racing DS didn't sell as well as the original N64 game.
- Nintendo asked Monster Games to work on Pilotwings because they were impressed with the flight/airplane mechanics in Monster's DKC Racing prototype. Diddy Kong Racing was well known for letting players ride karts, hovercrafts, and planes.
- Diddy Kong Racing 2 started up development for again (this time for Wii U) due to the amazing sales of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart Wii.
- Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, pitched the idea of Dillon (from Dillon's Rolling Western) to be one of the racers in the game. Tanabe was the producer of Dillon's Rolling Western, and he liked the idea of having a roster of lesser known Nintendo characters.
- Tanabe thought that the concept of lesser known Nintendo characters "fighting to be Nintendo's big star" could prove to be interesting for Diddy Kong Racing. Characters such as Mallo (Pushmo) and Rusty (Rusty's Real Deal Baseball) were also added as racers to fill out the roster.
- Nintendo purposely held off from showing Diddy Kong Racing 2 at E3 this year to avoid sabotaging the excitement around Mario Kart 8. It sounds like Diddy Kong Racing 2 will be revealed sometime in 2015, and released that same year.
- Diddy Kong was taken out of Mario Kart 7 and 8 because of Diddy Kong Racing 2. Diddy Kong had appeared in Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii.
And to add fuel to the fire a thread on NeoGAF added some more "insider info"
"DKR2 to be released in 2016, codeveloped by monster and retro. monster is handling the 3ds version while retro takes care of the wii u."
"It has a longer development cycle than usual because it will be the first 'unified' game (ala Smash Bros) produced by Nintendo of America. it is far and away Nintendo of America's largest project to date. All NoA hands are on deck, including redmond's NST"
- Tanabe is a key player and is largely responsible for making this all happen
- Amiibo's were critical in reviving NoJs interest in DKR2. internal forecasts show Amiibo's will sell like hotcakes and nintendo is going to make amiibos of nearly every franchise they have ever owned. one major objective of the game is to boost the popularity of lesser known franchises in order to push amiibos
"I'm gonna have to finally come out and be "that guy" in this thread.
Never thought this would be something I could say, but I have a line of communication with Monster, and while I can't confirm 100% it's DKR2, I can confirm, perhaps well outside my comfort level, that they're working on something for the WiiU that is pretty much talked about by everyone involved as the most exciting thing to be done on WiiU yet, and that they are certain it's going to blow people away upon reveal. I genuinely wasn't told details because while I may want to know, I don't trust myself with that much knowledge, so it's likely best they didn't either."
"More fuel to the fire; Nintendo might have bought Timber in Oct 2012″
So what do you think? Real? Fake? Would you want DKR2? I know I would!